Let’s learn more about some of the designers behind Kate’s favorite labels:
Founded by David Reiss in 1971.
- David opened his first store in Bishopsgate, London while he was in his 20s. He inherited the space from his father who was a gentleman’s clothier. Prior to his father’s ownership of the store, David’s uncle owned the space.
- In 2003, the brand was awarded Fashion Retailer of the Year at the British Style Awards
- In 2007, the store moved its headquarters to Picton Place, London.
- In 2011, Kate is pictured by photographer Mario Testino in an iconic cream Reiss 'Nanete' dress for her engagement photos and the brand gained more popularity from her seal of approval.
- Today, there are 160 stores across the globe.
- David’s daughter, Debra, worked for the brand’s Los Angeles store as a brand manager. In 2015, while on vacation in Marbella, Spain, and 6.5 months pregnant, Debbie suddenly passed away from a life-long lung condition.
- David currently lives in Hampstead with his wife.
**Currently running their summer sale -- up to 50% off, plus new summer lines added. Click to SHOP
Started in Los Angeles, CA in 2004 by Jeff Rudes, of Abercrombie and Fitch fame, as a means to create the most flattering and comfortable women’s jeans.
- J Brand brought huge popularity to the dark denim skinny jean in 2006 with their 811 model.
- In 2008, a men’s line was introduced.
- Most popular women’s jeans from brand: Love Story flares and Houlihan cargos (they sold more than 300,000 pairs!)
- Collaborations with other designers include: Proenza Schouler, Christopher Kane, Simone Rocha, Henry Duarte, Erdem, Meadham Kirchoff, Peter Pilotto, and Richard Nicoll.
- In 2012, Fast Retailing, owners of Uniqlo, bought 80% of J Brand to increase their sales.
- In May 2014, Jeff Rudes stepped down as CEO of the brand and opened his own men’s luxury and masculine clothing line, Jeffrey Rudes, in NYC.
- Kate adores the 811 Mid-Rise Skinny Leg in navy twill.
**If you sign-up to receive their emails, you’ll receive 15% off your first purchase!
Women-inspired and owned company started by Linda Kristin Bennett in 1990.
- Linda came from an artistic and fashion family: her father was a London based fashion retail entrepreneur and her mother was an Icelandic sculptor. Linda has experience working as a salesperson at both Whistles and Joseph.
- The first store opened in Wimbledon Village, as there was a need to design footwear for those looking for something in between High Street and Bond Street fashion.
- The brand is best known for its signature kitten-heel, so Linda is known as the ‘Queen of the Kitten Heel.’
- In 2006, Linda was awarded an OBE for her fashion industry service.
- In 2008, the company gained Robert Bensoussan, co-founder of Sirius Equity, together with Phoenix Equity Partners, as shareholders.
- The brand has over 166 locations around the globe.
- Kate made the nude pump popular by wearing the brand’s Sledge platforms.
**On the US site, receive an extra 30% off with code JULY42016. On the UK/International site, they are running a Final Reductions summer sale (on 510 items!)
- He is known for being the chief designer of Givenchy from 1996-2001 and then starting his own brand, Alexander McQueen, in 1992.
- McQueen received many honors and awards throughout his fashion career, including four British Designer of the Year awards, and he was the youngest winner to receive this award in 1996.
- He created pieces for David Bowie, Prince Charles, Nicole Kidman, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Bjork.
- Early collections earned him the nickname “l’enfant terrible” because of the dark and shocking pieces he made. He was famous for incorporating skulls on his designs, most popularly placed on scarves, which gained worldwide fame.
- He is accredited for being the first designer to bring Indian models onto the London catwalk.
- Sadly, in 2010, Alexander McQueen committed suicide at just 40 years old and his ashes were scattered over the Island of Skye.
- The brand is currently headed by Sarah Burton, the designer behind Kate’s famous wedding gown and her reception gown, as well as Pippa’s bridesmaids gown.
- To date, Kate has worn 28 unique garments by McQueen since becoming a royal!
- The brand has five boutiques scattered though out London, Dubai, USA, and Qatar. The clothing is also sold in over 300 stores in 37 countries.
- In 2006, Alice was named one of Britain’s top 35 female business leaders.
- The high street collab, Somerset by Alice Temperley, began in 2012 at John Lewis and is the most popular collection in the retail chain’s history.
- In 2011, Alice was appointed an MBE for her services to the fashion industry.
- Alice is the granddaughter of mathematical physicist, Neville Temperley.
- Temperley London been a favorite of the Duchess since 2010. Kate was recently seen wearing the brand on her trip to India at a garden party.